October Birchbox Review

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted, as life is always really hectic in September. I managed to squeeze in another holiday before moving back to university, while sorting my portfolio alongside applying for internships and doing lots of research for new projects meant my blog wasn't always at the front of my mind!
Upon receiving the October Birchbox, however, I decided I had to do a (belated) review of both the box and my thoughts on the whole subscription service itself.

I've been a Birchbox subscriber for over two years now, and I've always loved having boxes delivered - they always surprise me with fab products to try out and even some full sized ones, with cult beauty brands often included such as Benefit, Spectrum Collections and Lord & Berry. They even send occasional lifestyle products, like bars of chocolate (!), This Works sprays and colourful photo holders - perfect for placing around my uni bedroom. I love that they do this, providing stuff for everyday life rather than just limiting themselves to the constraints of beauty products. The boxes themselves (or drawers, more recently!) are always handy and have really cool ideas - I've had boxes before that can be coloured in for competitions, or scratched away to reveal cool patterns with pennies, like scratchcards.

The theme for this month's Birchbox is Star Signs. As a Virgo (ignoring all recent news surrounding the introduction of Ophiuchus), I was sent the Earth box. I am not usually a fan of green, but Birchboxes are always beautifully designed and this one actually glows in the dark!








Lord & Berry

Maxi Matte Crayon Lipstick in Intimacy

This lipstick crayon was the full-sized product included in this month's box, worth £12.
It's a dark-rose shade with a matte finish, and I was looking forward to using this as I know from experience that Lord & Berry's lip products are great. I love matte lip pencils as they seem to have longer staying-power than lipsticks, though I always thought this was due to their heavy, drying texture. This 'crayon', however, has longevity and a creamy consistency, making it much more wearable in winter months when lips are prone to becoming dry. I'm sure I'll be using this a lot, as it's such a pretty shade too!



Batiste

Stylist Oomph My Locks XXL Volume Spray

As an extremely busy student that doesn't even own a hairdryer, I always keep an emergency stash of Batiste's amazing dry shampoo, which I find very volumising as it always gives hair a much-needed boost. I have tried this hairspray before and it too has worked wonders! The one thing I would say (from my incredibly naive point of view) is that the bottle should warn that it is actually a dry shampoo hairspray - I somehow expected an ordinary one, though it turned the top of my hair white and did actually seem harder to rub in! Despite this, it did volumise and make hair more stylable, so I'd always recommend Batiste products.

Doux Me

Pure Spring Mist

The most disappointing product in the box - this is literally water in a spray can. Not even joking, I tasted it too. Directions for use state that you should spray it on the face or body, however I'd probably advise against the face option unless you aren't wearing makeup. The Birchbox website actually says it can be used as a setting spray, though I'm not sure how this works as I imagine it would be more likely to leave a streaming mascara effect. The only time I can see this being of any use is during summer, as it is slightly cooling - like the other forms of water you don't have to waste £16 on...


Rituals 

Hammam Body Mud

This purifying body scrub is enriched with a refreshing eucalyptus scent and Rhassoul clay that can be used as a body mask to remove dead skin cells. I love the whole idea behind the Rituals ethos and how their products are inspired by ancient Eastern traditions and the use of fragrance. Aromatherapy has always intrigued me and Rituals focus on this as a way in which to relax and create your own mood-boosting 'rituals'.


Number 4

Fluoro5 Elixer Restore & Repair Oil

I have received quite a few Number 4 products from Birchbox so far, and can say that their various hair oils, sprays and serums always work well on repairing my hair. Their packaging is always pleasingly minimalist and fits well in any bathroom. I have used this a few times recently, as I have just gone white-blonde, and it definitely makes my hair much more manageable, tamed and shiny! I am always careful while using oils but I have even used small parts of this one towards the top of my hair and it still hasn't looked greasy or over-oily.


Birchbox

Eyebrow Brush

I haven't actually used this yet, as I expect it will work just as any other ordinary eyebrow brush does. One of the things I like about Birchbox though is how they do often include their own useful products, and these can be anything from pretty gold and ribbon bracelets (as I received in September), to handy little mirrors and pencil sharpeners.


Overall, I love this box as much as I do all the others I receive. The range of products included mean I very rarely have to go shopping for makeup or beauty essentials, as I have a huge stash of sample shampoos, foundations, mascaras and blushers that could last me a lifetime.

One of my new favourite things about Birchbox is how they have recently redesigned their boxes so they can now be conveniently stacked on top of one another rather than just having removable lids. I have always used my boxes to store various things such as fabric paints, beads, Pritt stick collections and even Polaroid photos, so finding that my last few boxes have arrived in a 'drawer' style has made me so pleased! I now store boxes on my desk, pulling out each drawer as I need to use it rather than having to disrupt a whole shelf so I can find something as small as a washi tape.

I'd highly recommend subscribing to Birchbox, as it's always something I look forward to receiving each month. It's not priced too highly considering the range of generously-sized samples and full-sized products included, not to mention how each box purchased and reviewed goes towards points to spend in the Birchbox shop.
If you subscribe using this link, you will receive 50% off your first box as well as £5 to spend on cult beauty products!

What's your favourite thing about Birchbox?
Thanks for reading,
Indy 

1 comment:

  1. the best alternative accessible is the cardboard made custom makeup boxes as they are famous for their definitive advantageous highlights

    ReplyDelete

Instagram